The Craftsmen’s Yard is in the midst of the historical city centre below Castle Heidecksburg. The main building, built in 1513, was the Berhardinen Home to single ladies of noble birth from 1759 to 1945. A precious coat of arms above the entrance on Stiftsgasse reminds of the founder Princess Bernhardine Christiane Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.
By support of the Thuringian Chamber of Trade, the building, which was partly damaged by fire, was reconstructed and received several extensions in 1991/92 to become the craftsmen’s yard of Rudolstadt. Small crafts shops, events and exhibitions as well as a guesthouse and café make the craftsmen’s yard a tourist attraction in the midst of the old city centre.
tel. +49 (0) 175 / 5 87 38 04
Friedrich Schiller met Charlotte von Lengefeld and Caroline von
Beulwitz in 1787, he was impressed by the open-minded and intellectual
atmosphere in the house of the Lengefeld and Beulwitz family.
Especially during his first longer stay in the small residence town,
his passion in Caroline and the still unmarried Charlotte aroused.
|History of the house
The building belongs to the few authentic historical Schiller sites in Germany that did not fall victim to the bombs of the Second World War. Numerous findings during the conservation works in the building permitted an almost realistic reconstruction of rooms and walls from the end of the 18th century during the restoration period from 2005 to 2009.
|Restoration from 2005 to 2009
Numerous findings during the conservation works in the house of the Lengefeld and Beulwitz families permitted an almost realistic reconstruction of rooms and walls from the end of the 18th century during the restoration period from 2005 to 2009.
Schiller Museum Rudolstadt
The museum in Rudolstadt differs from all other known commemorative sites and exhibitions by the fact that it is focused on those days when Schiller’s life started to change. The Exhibition gives special attention to the first encounter of Friedrich Schiller and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe as well as his relationship to Charlotte von Lengefeld and Caroline von Beulwitz. Luckily Schiller’s correspondence during his stay in Rudolstadt is largely preserved, which allows complex interpretation about the relationship between Friedrich Schiller and the two sisters that cannot always be definitely disentangled.
Tuesday to Sunday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
November to March
Tuesday to Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Visible from far away, Castle Heidecksburg sits on the castle hill and towers above the old town of Rudolstadt. The huge, three-wing Baroque castle was built on the remnants of a Renaissance castle, which had burnt down in 1735, in the second half of the 18th century. Castle Heidecksburg was the residence of the princes of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt until 1918. Today, the architectonic gem houses many culturally and historically precious treasures. Apart from the princes’ living and festival rooms, you can also visit extensive collections of decorative porcelain, paintings, weapons from the Schwarzburg armoury, Rococo en miniature and further changing exhibitions. The large ball room is one of the most beautiful of German Rococo.
tel. +49 (0) 3672 / 48 64 20
D - 07407 Rudolstadt
1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
9 a.m. to noon
At the prince’s instigation, the theatre was built on the Anger square as a summer theatre in 1792/93. Managing the theatre in Rudolstadt from Weimar, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was head of the theatre and its ensemble. There were several reconstructions of the original building in the course of time.
During an extensive reconstruction in 1982, a new audience room and stage hall were built. The ensemble of the “Thuringian State Theatre Rudolstadt” was incorporated into an association of mutual interest – together with the “Thuringian Symphony Musicians of Saalfeld-Rudolstadt” in 1992. The musicians continue the traditions of the court orchestra, which was founded more than 350 years ago. After the disassociation of a perennial merger with the theatre of Eisenach, the Thuringian State Theatre Rudolstadt has been run independently again since the season of 2003/04.
The amateur theatre has got a long tradition in Rudolstadt as well. Already in 1768, pupils of the grammar school performed Lessing’s "Minna von Barnhelm" on the courtyard. The theater-spiel-laden was founded in 1991 and goes back to an amateur theatre of factory workers from Rudolstadt-Schwarza. It is a mobile and revolving group of talented and experienced amateur actors and actresses who offer a wide range of productions.
The Thuringian Farmhouses are said to be the oldest museum of its kind
in Germany. In 1914/15 Rudolstadt citizens sponsored the transfer of
two houses to the present location in Heine Park to preserve them. One
of the houses stood in Saale valley and proudly displays the year of
its construction, 1667, over the lintel. The other house from the
surrounding wooded hills was built around 1700.
The houses are fully furnished with original furniture and household utensils from the 17th to 19th century. They are mostly painted in vivid colours, testimony to the inherent pride and resilience of their owners in the face of dire living conditions.
The museum organizes events such as concerts and welcomes party bookings. Enjoy a hot or cold drink under the lime trees next to the historical garden.
A historical apothecary lab and herb garden remind of the hawkers selling herbal medicine from Schwarza valley. Join a tour with such a "Buckelapotheker" who will tell exciting and haunting stories from his journeys.