The Oldest Volkstedt Porcelain Manufactory
After Georg Heinrich Macheleid had received the privilege to establish a porcelain manufactory in his native village Sitzendorf, the factory was relocated to the hamlet Volkstedt near Rudolstadt 1762. The manufactory was run by a consortium of several noble men, Georg Heinrich Macheleid and Prince Johann Friedrich of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt himself. While the merchant and leaseholder Christian Nonne successfully run the manufactory from 1767 to 1800, managers and partners changed quite often in the 19th century.
Apart from plain tableware, pompous figures and painted china were produced for the nobility and court in the 18th century. Many figures were created by the court painter and modeller Franz Kotta (1758-1821). Porcelain aficionados especially appreciate the items of the 1920s, and the figures and creations of Arthur Storch (1870-1947), Hugo Meisel (1887-1966) and Gustav Oppel (1891-1978) are still produced from the old moulds. In 1990, the porcelain manufactories of Unterweißbach, Scheibe-Alsbach and Plaue were incorporated into the "Königlich privilegierte Porzellanmanufaktur Tettau” (appointed porcelain manufactory of Tettau to the royal family).
Also see: www.porzellanmanufaktur-volkstedt.com
RUDOLF KÄMMER Porcelain Manufactory
ALBERT STAHL & Co. Porcelain Manufactory
All manufactories are active members of the Thuringian Porcelain Road.