home
HOME | CONTACT
Home / Culture & Tourism / sights / churches
CHURCHES

Town Church

 
Stadtkirche

The Church of St. Andreas is a late-Gothic hall church with three naves. From 1463 to 1475, it was rebuilt from a former church, dating back to the 12th century,. The present character of church is determined by a reconstruction from 1634 to 1636 and its interior decor of early Baroque age. As tall as the wall, the family tree of Count Albert VII of Schwarzburg and the "Schönfeld Epitaph" are especially worth seeing. The tomb slab in the church reminds of Countess Katharina who confronted Duke Alba in 1547 by her famous sentence "Fürstenblut für Ochsenblut" (the blood of prince against the blood of ox) and entered history as the Heroic Countess. In the upper belfry, there is the church bell Osanna, cast in 1499. It is said, Friedrich Schiller was inspired to write his famous poem "Lied von der Glocke" (song about the bell) by its inscription after having climbed the church tower. Purpose of the association "Kirchenbauverein Rudolstadt e.V." is to promote the restoration of the Church of St. Andrew in Rudolstadt as a church and as a monumental landmark in the city of Rudolstadt.

  

Luther Church

 
Lutherkirche The foundation stone of Luther Church was set in the presence of prince in 1904 and inaugurated on 10. October 1906 as a succession church of an old garrison church. Build of grey and red sandstone in neo-Gothic design, it reflects a new epoch in the new part of town after the turn of century and looks like built of Friedrich Adolf Richter’s Anchor building blocks.

  

Catholic Church

Katholische Kirche The catholic church of Rudolstadt is named „Mater dolorosa – painful Mother Mary“. It owes its construction to Herrmann von Bertrab, one of the prince’s ministers on Castle Heidecksburg. After reformation, there were no Catholics in Rudolstadt for a period of time. When Italian merchants came to Rudolstadt in the 18th century, they built a small chapel and a Catholic community established. The church, built from 1872 to 1874, became the spiritual centre of the new congregation. The winged altar was created in the workshop of Hans Gottwald von Lohr. The church was extended from 1972 to 1974 and received a pipe organ in 1978. Its outside was renovated in 2005/2006.

  

The Church in Cumbach

 
Kirche in Cumbach

When the Church of St. Nikolaus became an independent parish church in 1468, a Gothic nave was added to the former Romanesque chapel. The church was reconstructed in Baroque design from 1763 to 1766 and its tower received an octagonal onion-shaped copula.

  

The Church in Schwarza

 
Kirche in Schwarza The Church of St. Laurentius replaced a much older church 410 years ago. With its impressing altar, pulpit and pipe organ, it is a typical example of a church in Baroque style of the peasants of Schwarzburg.

  

The Church in Volkstedt

 
Die Volkstedter Kirche

The church of Volkstedt was built in the 12th century. At the end of World War Two, the church was completely destroyed by the bombs of Allied Forces. Only the Gothic altar of the 15th century, accredited to the famous “Master of Zeigerheim”, has survived.


In the summer of 1788, Friedrich Schiller lived in the house of cantor Unbehaun opposite of the church in Volkstedt. A memorial plaque on the front of house reminds of his stay.

  

The Church in Schaala

 
Kirche in Schala The fortified church in Schaala dates back to Romanesque times. In Gothic times, the rectangle apse and the church tower with its tall cone top were added around 1300. The church got its present shape in 1575, when a nave was added and the decorative battlement was put on the tower. The Gothic winged altar, dating back to 1500, is especially nice. The pipe organ was made in 1742, and its work and tuning is preserved in almost original order and condition.

  

The Church in Eichfeld

 
Kirche in Eichfeld The church in Eichfeld in its present shape dates back to the 18th century. However, there were probably two former churches on the same site as the oak logs, on which the belfry rests, date back to 1194. The date of 1644 can be noticed in the frame of joists, and it is assumed that it was added in that year. The church was reconstructed in 1715. Especially eye-catching is the Baroque altar with an integrated pipe organ.

  

The Church in Keilhau

 

Kirche in Keilhau

The fortified church tower and the Romanesque vault with its roundel are the earliest evidence of history in Keilhau. They suggest that there must have been a medieval chapel with an apse at its east side. The church was reconstructed in the 18th and 19th century, as the Baroque tower roof dates back to 1759 and the nave was built in 1844. Several exhibits in the church show its connection to Fröbel’s School next to it. The altar picture that depicts Jesus Christ blessing the children, was painted by Friedrich Unger, a former pupil of that school. The faces of disciples show the features of Fröbel’s partners Middendorf, Langethal and Barop.

  

The Church in Lichstedt

 
Kirche in Lichstedt  The church and the manor house were the biggest buildings in Lichstedt. The church with its tall cone top and battlements looked like that in Schaala and the interior of church was gloomy. It became dilapidated in 1863 and was replaced by the present church in 1867.

  

The Church in Oberpreilipp

 
Kirche in Oberpreilipp  The Church of St. Veit in Oberpreilipp is one of the oldest in the region. Built in Byzantine style in 1090, the church in Oberpreilipp is dedicated to Saint Veit, which became a place of pilgrimage later. A legend tells that Saint Antonius died in this church, when he was on a missionary journey to the land of Sorbs. It is said, he was buried on the “holy hill”. Due to its age and style, the Church of St. Veit would have become an outstanding cultural monument. Unfortunately, however, one did not recognize the worth of edifice. The church was partly removed in 1862, and only the tower remained. Its precious altar and a late-Romanesque holy water basin can be seen in the local museum of Saalfeld.

  

The Church in Mörla

 
Kirche in Mörla The weather vane of the church in Mörla shows the date of 1794, revealing the year of its edification. Its furnishings, however, are from the 1960s.

  

The Church in Pflanzwirbach

 
Kirche in Pflanzwirbach 

The Church of St. Erhard in Pflanzwirbach is of Romanesque origin and was presumably built in the 12th or 13th century. It is named after Bishop Erhard, who lived in Regensburg around 700, probably because the village Ammelstädt belonged to the Diocese Würzburg in pre-reformatory times. The interior design dates back to the reconstruction in 1658. The pipe organ was made by Carl Lösche in 1885 and repaired in 1995. The pews were renovated in 2004.

 

print this page print this page  found a mistake? found a mistake?  sitemap sitemap  imprint imprint  data protection data protection