home
HOME | CONTACT
Die Apotheke in den Bauernhäusern
Home / Culture & Tourism / sights / thuringian farmhouses
THURINGIAN FARMHOUSES

Eingang der Thüringer Bauernhäuser

The Thuringian Farmhouses are said to be the oldest museum of its kind in Germany. In 1914/15 Rudolstadt citizens sponsored the transfer of two houses to the present location in Heine Park to preserve them. One of the houses stood in Saale valley and proudly displays the year of its construction, 1667, over the lintel. The other house from the surrounding wooded hills was built around 1700.

The houses are fully furnished with original furniture and household utensils from the 17th to 19th century. They are mostly painted in vivid colours, testimony to the inherent pride and resilience of their owners in the face of dire living conditions.

The museum organizes events such as concerts and welcomes party bookings. Enjoy a hot or cold drink under the lime trees next to the historical garden.


A historical apothecary lab and herb garden remind of the hawkers selling herbal medicine from Schwarza valley. Join a tour with such a "Buckelapotheker" who will tell exciting and haunting stories from his journeys.

 

How to get there

By car: follow the signs to Cumbach and stop at Bleichwiese.

On foot: Cross the river Saale on either bridge.

In any case it is a short walk through the park.

 

Opening times:

Daily:

(April to October)

11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (admission until 17:30 clock)

 

You will find further information on the German Internet pages.

 

print this page print this page  found a mistake? found a mistake?  sitemap sitemap  imprint imprint  data protection data protection